Friday, February 19, 2010

afternoon snack

Trying to incorporate more cultured foods into our diet has been really fun! When the kids got up from their naps this afternoon they were less than happy. Actually, Timber was fine, it was Layton that was a grump. As he was lying on the couch he said, "Mommy, I need a milkshake." My first thought was, "Um, no you don't. The last thing you need is ice cream." and then I thought, "Sure, why not? I'll make one- just a different kind." And so the buttermilk shake was born:
Since I didn't measure anything, all of this is a round about estimate of what I used (you could totally improvise!)
2 cups organic frozen blueberries
1/4 cup raw honey
and I added a little whole raw milk just because it was a little on the thick side.

I was anxious to see what my kids thought of it since it isn't your traditional sweet milkshake. It's slightly like Kefir- a tad sour. The honey helps though. And I guess they liked it! Which is great, otherwise I would have had an entire blender full of shake for me to eat!

7 comments:

Kim said...

I hadn't thought to use buttermilk...great idea! It looks like it was a hit too! Score one for mom!!!

Cindy said...

Wow, that sounds so good! Love the idea!

Lisa @ Life with 4! said...

At first I thought, "what in the world is she feeding her kids!!!". Then i read the blueberry ingredient. ok, ok, it sounds yummy.

one of Lindsey's favorite snacks is frozen blueberries. I try to keep some in the freezer at all times for quick snacks.

I really need to get myself a blender so I can make smoothies and shakes for the kids. they would love it!

Leslie said...

you are a super cool mom...shakes in the afternoon would send my kids over the moon....i would be interested to try this

Unknown said...

Looks delicious! Seems like it passed the taste test with flying colors.

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

That looks good. I've never tried it with buttermilk. I am so happy I can see pictures again. It was my browser. I got to go back and see what I missed. And the tulips ARE beautiful.
Sorry to hear about Roundy. She was a pretty chicken. Her being sweet makes it even harder.

Snowbird said...

Yummy!! We put spinach in our drink as well. I got that from another mom-blogger. We use the canned pineapple in its own juice to sweeten the drink; saves on honey that we put on toast with cinnamon and ginger mixed in. Ok, I must be hungry...time to feed our children some yogurt with blueberries, too! :)
Blessings!
p.s. my verification word just happened to be "supper"!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails