Thursday, January 29, 2009

adventures in soap making

My friend Linz and I tried our hands at soap making yesterday. It was an interesting, freaking out, having fun soap fest! Thanks to mi amiga in Maine, Mandi, we had a step by step tutorial on how to make it. Mandi is the guru of soap making, no doubt. She runs Long Winter Farm, a fantastic shop on Etsy. We had to make a few calls to her yesterday to make sure that we were doing it all right. I mean really, when water, milk and lye are put together it does not look good. Linz and I freaked out a little bit, called Mandi and she reassured us that, "Yes, that's what it's supposed to look like." Phew.
Here are a few shots of us creating!

Yuck.


Stuff for soap making


Linz and the stick blender


Our loaves after pouring


My loaf today after being cut

On a funny note, working together, it took us about 3 hours to make the first loaf and 20 minutes to make the second one.



9 comments:

lindsey said...

I had fun yesterday with this trial run :) Seems to have been a success. Amanda was right, this is an addiction. I'm hooked!! Just ordered more stuff. We have to do it again soon.

longwinterfarm said...

Yaaaay you guys that looks awesome!! What scents did you do? Are those poppy seeds I see?

longwinterfarm said...

Wait a minute, is that a play on Adventures in Babysitting? You dork.

Mountain Home Quilts said...

We did CB&W and Apple Spice. Those are cranberry seeds. And, Adventures in Babysitting? Mayyyybe........

Tiffany said...

Heather,

It looks so yummy! I want to try that so bad. I love handmade soap and would like to make some as gifts every year. Maybe when you become seasoned, you can help me out. LOL What is CB&W?

Mountain Home Quilts said...

Cloudberry and Willow ♥

Tiffany said...

That sounds interesting! Never heard of that.

Mountain Home Quilts said...

It smells sooooooooooo good! I'm sure you'd like it!

KaHolly said...

It looks so good, too! I've always wanted to make my own, but have shied away from the process. Maybe I'll just have to give in and give it a try!

Related Posts with Thumbnails