Friday, June 12, 2009

2, oh so yummy recipes

O.k., I AM going to town today and I AM getting a new memory card. I am.
But until then how about 2 really great recipes?

The first is for Pumpkin Bread. I don't think I've shared this one before and it is worth sharing. It won 1st place at our county fair last summer in the quick bread division.
Here we go. You'll need;
2 c flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 c sugar
1 c pumpkin
1/2 c milk
2 eggs
1/2 c butter, softened
Mix all dry ingredients first, in a bowl, then add pumpkin and milk. Add eggs one at a time, then add butter. Pour into 2 greased 9x5 pans and bake at 350 degrees for apx 45 minutes.
I usually use store bought pumpkin but I canned some this past fall and used it this morning in the bread that I made. My home canned pumpkin was more watery than the store bought stuff (that comes out of the can like a lump of cranberry) so I adjusted the milk a little.

This next recipe is for Lisa! :) It's my Ranch Chicken. I just kinda made this one up one evening when I really wanted some good chicken. Since it's really just thrown together there aren't exact measurements for anything. Sorry, if you're one of those people who needs exact on everything.
You'll need;
Some organic chicken, our family of 5 usually uses about 3 lbs for this recipe (but remember that we have 2 little ones included in that 5) I buy the chicken breasts (boneless, skinless) and then cut them up into breast tenders.

Sour cream, about 1 cup
A little milk

Simply Organic Ranch Dressing Mix (I get ours from the health food store on sale for about .95 cents) You're only going to use about half the packet so you'll have enough for 2 dinners with one pack. I wouldn't recommend using things like Hidden Valley Ranch Dip because of the MSG and preservatives used in it.

Butter, about 1/2 cup

Parmesan cheese, about 1/3 cup
And last but not least, here's where I give a little in our regular eating practices;
Ritz Crackers, about 3 packs (from the 4 pack box) You can buy the Late July Crackers that are like Ritz. They are healthier but they're also really expensive. You'd need about 2 boxes.
Mix the half of the ranch packet with the sour cream and let stand for about 15 minutes. Then add some milk. Just enough to thin out the thick dip. You're going to be dipping your chicken in this and it's easier if it's thinner. It also goes further.
Melt your butter in a saucepan over low heat.
In a medium sized bowl, crush your Ritz crackers to a nice consistency, leaving some "chunks" in. Dip your chicken into the ranch mix and then roll the chicken in your Ritz. Place coated chicken into a butter greased 13x9 dish. Sprinkle on your Parmesan cheese and then drizzle melted butter over everything.
Bake uncovered for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees or until top of chicken is nicely browned.

1 comment:

Jerilyn said...

Mmmm... the pumpkin bread sounds so yummy. Well, so does the chicken but I am definitely going to make the pumpkin bread today since I have all those ingredients in my pantry. Thanks.

Related Posts with Thumbnails