Sunday, January 24, 2010

making do

Mason's quilt top is done and it needed a backing. I am trying to live up to the MJ Butters motto of, "Make Do or Do Without" and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
I went through my stash and came up with this:The hard part was that I wanted it to be flannel. Apparently my stash does not runneth over with flannel. This was all I had. And I had to piece it to make it work because I didn't have enough of a single fabric.

This is a whole 'nother issue:
My poor roll is dwindling and I have a feeling that I'm going to have to spring for a new one in the next few months. Batting is one thing a quilter can't do without.

6 comments:

Dee said...

I'm so in favor of making due with what we have...I'm trying to do that as well here. I'm a firm believer in capitalism, but I'm also an advocate of smart purchasing!

I love pieced backs and can't wait to see what you put together for such a fun top!

Unknown said...

The backing looks terrific. Even though it was not your first choice, I think it works just wonderfully. And yes, we quilters cannot do without batting.

Cathy said...

I feel your pain with the batting. My roll is dwindling also. It is something that we can't do without, but does it have to be so expensive? LOL
Love Mason's quilt!!!
Cathy

Leslie said...

i dream about having a roll of batting like that at my fingertips. it would make things so much easier. the monkey's are so cute. what a great quilt and the back is going to be amazing. i have been trying to look beyond just the fabric that is on my shelves to use in quilts, and am trying to use things i have already....like i just backed a quilt with a tablecloth that i had.

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

Love the quilt top. The back is going to be great too. I don't have any flannel anymore. So I'm lacking there too. I love that roll of batting. I am just about out. I've just recently learned that good batting makes a world of difference.

Suzanne said...

What a cute quilt! i love the sock monkeys :) The backing will be great and because you "made do" it'll be even better!
All the batting...never thought I'd be envious about batting!

Related Posts with Thumbnails