Thursday, January 21, 2010

hearts...

When I was a kid my dad would make whole chickens for dinner and he would always cook the heart with the chicken. I remember my brother and I "fighting" over who would get to eat it. I think we'd trade turns or split it...I can't remember. Anyway, organ meats are the best meats for you (nutritionally, that is) and I hope that my kids enjoy them as much as my brother and I did.
And on another chicken note, remember how I said we were going to be getting a couple more chicks next month? Well, in trade for those 6 or 7 chicks, I'll be getting rid of 3 of our current hens. I usually take them down to the feed store where I sell them for $3 or $4 each. But I was wondering how good my hens would be to just eat? I haven't eaten laying hens before and am not sure whether it's worth the trouble of processing them or not. Have any of you eaten one of your hens before? How did it turn out?

4 comments:

Lisa @ Life with 4! said...

ya know, there are probably ALOT of people out there that would be totally offended by that picture...................... good thing I'm not one of them!!
that cracks me up that you put a picture of a raw chicken on your blog!
we've never eaten one of our laying hens but my Dad does. You just might want to cook it in the crockpot to keep it tender.

Kim said...

Is that chicken wearing its heart on its sleeve? ;O) My dad & I used to argue over the heart. Usually we'd just split it in half!

We boil or cook them in the crockpot since they may be a little tougher...but they still taste like chicken!

Dee said...

Thought I'd tuned into an episode of CSI at first...lol

My grandpa raised laying hens...we never ate them...

Fresh veggies, garlic, pepper, salt...yummy!

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

My husband loves the heart. The organs are so nutritious. I have never eaten any of our laying hens. I am not sure if the are tough or not.

Related Posts with Thumbnails