Tuesday, October 6, 2009

pride

Pride is not something you're supposed to be full of. It's not a Godly thing. But ya know, sometimes you need to have some pride. And in my opinion, one of the things that you can have pride in is your work. Now I'm no "super quilter." You don't see me creating masterpieces that win world wide quilt shows. Moda isn't seeking me out to design their fabrics. Quilt magazines aren't contacting me to design patterns. But, I do take pride in my work. If I make something that I personally feel is "less than adequate" I chalk it up to, "don't make one of those again" and then sell the quilt as a second with the full disclosure of what I felt was flawed. There are folks out there that may look at the quilt and think, "Flawed? Um, it looks good to me." But we quilters know. We can tell. It's important to be honest about the things that you sell; the things that people are spending their hard earned money on.
Where am I going with this? Well, no where really. I just wanted to let you know how I felt. I guess it was part brought on by a quilt that I purchased and part brought on by the blocks that I won from Cathy. I was super impressed by her sewing. The blocks were gorgeous. I haven't seen, in person, one of her finished quilts but I would be willing to bet my hard earned dollar that they are lovely and well made. You can see her finished quilts here and below is the finished quilt top from the blocks that she so graciously gave away.
Thanks Cathy, I hope I did them justice and made you proud! ;)

6 comments:

Cathy said...

WOW! That turned out so beautifully! And thank you so much for your comments......you made me feel so good! I had to read them to my hubby.
Selling on etsy isn't always so good for the old self esteem. You see where people sell lots of quilts each month and I am lucky to sell one a month and at what I think are pretty good prices, so you just made up fpr all the days that I get frustrated selling my quilts.
Thank you,
Cathy

Lynette said...

Love it!!!! It's beautiful:) Good work to you both!

Dee said...

Wowzers. Incredible. You did a fantastic job. What a memory to have of sharing with someone a top made by both of you! Amazing! Keep smiling and thank you for your thoughts and encouragement for other quilters!
Blessings.

Brenda said...

Thank you for the suggestions you made on my quilt top I have posted. You sound so busy getting ready for the new baby I am surprised you have the time. My daughter also commented under you and agreed with your take on the project. That will be the way I go once I get the blocks pieced together we will go find a fabric for the first border then use the butterfly fabric for a patchwork boarder. Thanks again for you input!

Anonymous said...

You did a wonderful job on the quilt! I can certainly relate to everything your wrote. Job well done :-)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt & blocks! TWO talented artists!

Related Posts with Thumbnails