Friday, March 12, 2010

a couple things...


First, the yogurt making. I told Cindy that I'd try out a recipe that was on the WP webpage. I did try it, about 2 weeks ago. I just haven't had a chance to share yet.

For this experiment I actually used organic, pasteurized, non-homogenized milk. I didn't go raw because I was way too freaked out that since I was trying it for the first time, I would mess up and either heat the milk beyond 118 or just do it wrong and then I would have wasted some VERY expensive raw milk.
The whole heating process is something that you have to watch like a hawk. You want it heated to 110 but not to 118. It's like trying to control a big, hungry dog from eating a steak that's 2 feet away. I think it may take more practice before I go raw.
I followed the recipe and then sat my jars of milk into this cooler. I didn't have a thermos like the recipe called for and I made 2 quart jars (one using my yogurt culture and one using the 2Tbsp of Brown Cow yogurt as suggested by the recipe) I heated some water on the stove to 110 and added it into the cooler to keep the yogurt warm. The quart jars then sat in this cooler overnight. The next morning I had 2 quarts of yogurt. I did not add any sweetener in the making process and added a little vanilla the next morning. The texture was thin. Not as thin as milk but not like yogurt from the store (which is to be expected since my yogurt does not have pectin in it.) The flavor was o.k. I guess I'm just used to sweetened yogurt. Brown Cow sweetens theirs with things like maple syrup and cane juice. And their yogurt is good. Mine needs improvement. But like I said, it was an experiment. I'll try again, and again until I can get it right!


Second, I made this for lunch the other day and it was so incredibly delicious!

1 homemade tortilla cooked to a nice crisp
organic mild cheddar cheese, sliced
sauerkraut
sliced mushrooms and zucchini cooked in butter
Layer and enjoy!


Third, assuming that I finish the top tomorrow I'll have a quilt tutorial on my blog on how to make the quilt I'm making for our bed. SUPER easy quilt with a great look!

7 comments:

Cindy said...

The yogurt looks great. You should check out the eatwild.com website and see if you can find someone in your area that does raw milk. Maybe you could get some locally.

The cheese crisp looks really good. What a great idea... I had cheese toast - not as yummy as yours :)

Good luck on the quilt making. My sister makes quilts all the time, but I am not much in the way of sewing :( maybe in my 70's I'll take that up.... the 50's to relearn how to eat and keep so healthy.... the 60's to remain full time farmers... the 70's homemaking skills... what do you think?

Blessings on your family. Thanks for sharing your life so freely.

Cindy

Kim said...

I understand not wanting to waste raw milk...we pay $11.49/gallon! I can't find a local farm that isn't freaked out about "getting caught".

Let us know how your experiments progress...

I sweetened our last batch with raw agave nectar and it turned out really well. Especially with blueberries ....yum!

Can't wait to see your quilt!

Anonymous said...

Oh that pizza looks great! I've made yogurt before, but with skim milk, powdered milk and culture. I turned out very nicely. I only made it once though...I need to get on the ball.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

I haven't made yoghurt in decades; thanks for reminding me how delicious the home made stuff is, especially when paired with fruit.

Sunny said...

I used to make yogurt with raw milk and added dry milk to it for thicker consistancy, and swetten with honey.

I will be back to check out your quilt! Can't wait to see...

Michele said...

It's been a long time (too long) since I made yogurt, but it seems that I remember if you let the yogurt culture a little longer, it will be a little thicker.

Jo said...

I made yogurt just a few blog posts ago...Mine was VERY successful. In fact, I have made another batch. I am watching my weight and diabetic so I made mine with skim milk and splenda...along with some vanilla. Mine turned out very much like town yogurt. Check it out at www.joscountryjunction.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails