Monday, March 31, 2014

Hand Quilting

O.k. I'm just going to come out and say it. The ugly truth....
 
I've never hand quilted anything. Ever. In my 15 years of quilting. Never.
 
That's almost embarrassing to say.
 
But, there's no time like the present right?
 
I'm telling you, this off-grid stuff is changing me!
 
{I may have over pinned this}
 
Lucky for me, my first hand quilting project is small. This was the sweetest little pattern from Thimble Blossoms.
There were a few recent Moda collections that really caught my eye but I've kept telling myself "no" to them as the last thing I need right now is more fabric.
 
Until this pattern came along and I realized that I could use Plum Sweet and Mirabelle in these mini quilts.

 
 
The quilting has begun.
 
I'm impressed.
 
But not with my work. I'm impressed that women used to hand quilt bed sized quilts.
Mine is only 14"x16" and I'm already thankful for long-arm machines.
 
I'll let you know how this one turns out.
 

3 comments:

Sewing Mom said...

I don't know how to hand quilt...so I guess that in itself intimidates me! Can't wait to see you finish your piece.

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

It looks great, Heather!!! Everytime I hand quilt or hand piece, I have a greater appreciation for the ladies who made those big bed quilts entirely by hand!

Michele said...

This is adorable as well! I have hand quilted on one only slightly larger than yours and while I love it, it took a long time! I stick to straight line machine quilting or sending it to someone else to do! ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails