Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Cinnamon Vanilla Pear Jam

It's fall and I'm inspired. Inspired to take some of God's goodness and put it to work in my kitchen!
Pumpkin pancakes for breakfast, hot cider on the stove, and cinnamon vanilla pear jam! I purchased 6lbs of pears from Azure this month and went on a internet scavenger hunt to find a recipe for pear jam. I found this one and loved the idea. But you know me, I have to modify and change stuff around so here's what I came up with:

4 c peeled, chopped pears
1.5 c sugar
1 vanilla bean (cut and scraped)
3/4 tsp cinnamon
Pectin
(The following directions are for making this jam using Pomona Pectin. If you use a different type of pectin then just go ahead with all the ingredients in the pot and add your pectin after it's hot.)


Peel and chop your pears. Add the pears, 1c sugar, vanilla bean and scrapings, and cinnamon to large saucepan. Heat till pears become slightly soft. Mash about 1/2 of the pears into a pulp, leaving pear chunks as well.

Add 4tsp calcium water and stir well.

In a bowl, combine remaining 1/2c sugar with 3 tsp powdered pectin. Stir well.

Pour sugar/pectin combo into hot fruit. Stir at medium high heat until well dissolved (about 2 minutes.)

Ladle into half pint jars (or pint if you wish) and process in a hot water bath canner for 10 minutes.


(Just as a note, I did do the original 2 c of sugar in the recipe linked above for my first batch but found it to be too sweet. I lowered it to 1.5c in my second batch and was happier with the results. I believe though that you could lower it even more- to say 1c and still have it turn out great....using the Pomona Pectin that is.)

Simple. Yummy. The perfect fall gift for a friend, at a party, for a neighbor. Enjoy!

This post is linked to the Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop!

8 comments:

Bonnie K said...

That is my kind of jam recipe! I love it. It will be hard to find good pears around here. I'm on the hunt. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Sounds tasty!

Dollwood Farms said...

This sounds so yummy. I have a question though. (New to canning) What is 'calcium water'? I know probably a dumb questions but I need help, lol. Thank you

Nicole Ashley said...

YUM!!

Mountain Home Quilts said...

Calcium water is part of the Pomona Pectin process. Pomona Pectin allows you to make jams and jellies with very little sugar...unlike most pectins that ask you to use equal parts fruit/sugar (and sometimes even more sugar than fruit!) The combination of the calcium water, low sugar and pectin make the jam/jelly. You can google Pomona Pectin if you want to learn more. I have found it through our co-op and at the health food store, not at any big chain grocery stores in our area.

Wendy said...

Those look really good!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for this recipe~
I love homemade jams; and this one is sweet and simple!

Unknown said...

Oh this sound so yummy! I'm gonna have to try it for sure!
thanks so much for your entry!
Deb

Related Posts with Thumbnails