Thursday, April 1, 2010

kefir

Kefir shakes are quickly becoming a morning favorite in our home. Probably because of the yummy fruit in it more than the health benefits.

We add frozen strawberries and blueberries, flax seed oil, 2 grass fed egg yolks, about 1/4 yogurt (just to add a little sweetness) and some whey. What do you add to your kefir? I'd love some yummy suggestions on what else we could add! I had thought of coconut oil but I wondered how it would do with frozen fruit? Would it just clump up?

5 comments:

Kim said...

I've made ours with coconut oil and it does clump a little. Not too sure how to prevent that, but it adds a nice flavor. One of our favorite combinations is frozen peaches, raspberries and a Tb. of orange juice concentrate...Peach melba in a cup!

Cindy said...

It all sounds good. I have not gotten into this habit, but SUMMER is coming. The raspberries will be here and I hope to remember this. :)

Evelyn Fields said...

I put coconut oil in ours & if it is sortof scoopable I just add a spoonful. I have also slightly heated a scoop on the stove for it to blend better.

This makes me want to make a smoothie!

lindsey said...

I used to use honey to sweeten. You have to add before the frozen fruit though or it won't blend as well.

Lisa @ Life with 4! said...

yum! I've never made kefir. I've seen it in the health food store.
Sounds good.

And yes, you can use the words from my last post. I didn't mean for it to be a "poem" type thing. It was just a thought I had this morning when I realized it is Good Friday.

Love the new blog look by the way. It shows that your blog is not just quilts but includes so much more of your daily life.

Related Posts with Thumbnails