Friday, August 27, 2010

Canning 101: Jam, the old fashioned way!

I have to admit, I didn't even know you could make jam without pectin. I had found Pomona Pectin a few years ago and was overjoyed that I could use it for jam and not have to add more sugar than actual fruit. Something is just sooooooooo wrong with that.
Then I got my new canning book and it had recipes for, as I call it, old fashioned jam! I guess the thought never occurred to me, "What did people do before pectin?" Well, here's your answer....
Apricot Jam
8c peeled, chopped apricots
4Tb lemon juice
6c sugar
Berry Jam
9 c crushed berries (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries etc.)
6 c sugar
Strawberry Jam
8 c crushed strawberries
6c sugar
In large stainless steel saucepan, combine fruit and sugar (& lemon juice if you're doing apricot.) Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. Boil, stirring frequently until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and test gel.
Ladle into hot jars leaving 1/4" head space. Place lids and bands and process in hot water bath canner for 10 minutes.
Making jam like this does take a little longer, to make sure enough liquid is evaporated to create a thick enough jam. But if you're out of pectin, you've got fruit that needs attention and a trip to town isn't in sight, then this is a great way to make jam!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have an old Ball canning leaflet dating to 1942. All the jam recipes also call for a ton of sugar.

I have only made the orange marmalade, but have found I can cut down the sugar a bit. You have to "experiment" with that, but I haven't used the full amount of sugar since.

blessings,
jilly

Christa said...

I just got done making blackberry jam using Pomona's. I like that I can cut way down on the sugar and actually still taste what kind of fruit it is after it's jam.
Got my 2 bushels of pears but they are not ripe. will have to wait until monday to can. But, I got my crystalized ginger made and I'm ready to make the ginger pear jam!
Have a great weekend :0)

Leslie said...

i never really thought about what you did if you did not have pectin. my how i take things for granted. i love jam...we can not eat toast without some homemade jam.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

I've never made jam..or canned anything for that matter, I didn't know about the Pectic...or rather, what they did BEFORE Pectic..but my dad always tells me this same story whenever we go down the baking aisle at our local grocery store. We pass the Pectin...and he talks about how his grandma only used one particular brand and no other!!!! :) :) Anyway, have a great weekend :) :) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails