Thursday, August 26, 2010

Canning 101: Green Beans

Well, I'm still here canning up more spaghetti sauce today but in a few weeks (once our beans really start coming on) I'll be canning green beans. I love fresh green beans but canned ones come in second. I really, really dislike frozen ones. I don't know what it is about them but they gross me out. So, when we've eaten all the ones we are able to, the rest get canned. All winter long I am so thankful for a cupboard full of canned green beans!
Canning green beans has to be one of the easiest things to can.

Start with your harvested green beans...

Wash them

Snap them into pieces (whichever size you'd like)

Raw pack them into a jar

Add 1tsp of salt (or more to taste) into jar

Fill with jar with water leaving 1" head space

Place lids and bands

Process in a pressure canner for 20 minutes for pint and 25 minutes for quart jars.
Simple, simple, simple! Enjoy!

4 comments:

Mary Grace McNamara said...

wow, doesn't get much easier than that! We don't get enough green beans to can, and the past few years, ours have been taken over by these nasty little spikey looking yellowish bugs that destroy the plants just before time to harvest. Frustrating! We didn't even plant beans this year because of that.

I love looking at all the neat stuff you do with your gardens!

MGM

Pamela said...

I agree - frozen green beans are yucky, something about the texture, I think. Fresh or canned are the way to go!

The Chicken Keepers said...

See we prefer frozen ones. We also can dilly beans. Yummy. Love to can!

Anonymous said...

I was really hoping to can green beans this year but I'm not sure I'll get to. I struggled with getting the beans started. They kept rotting in the ground with all the rain we had last may and june. So not sure if my harvest will be very many. oh well, even if we get a couple handfuls to eat fresh, i'll be happy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails