Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Canning 101: Ginger Pear Marmalade

This recipe caught my eye right away in my new canning book. Ginger? Yum. Pears? Yum. Mixed together in a marmalade? I'll take some of that please!

I canned it this morning and this is how it turned out.

It tastes delish! Although mine may have come out a little darker than normal since I almost burnt the pears....oops.

Here's the recipe if you'd like to try it yourself;

3 limes (you can substitute 2 lemons or 1 large orange) I had lemons on hand so that's what I used.
8 c thinly sliced cored peeled firm ripe pears
4 c sugar
3 Tb chopped crystallized ginger
1 1/4c water

Using a sharp knife, remove peel from limes and cut into very thin strips. Set aside. Cut limes in half crosswise and squeeze juice into large stainless steel pan. Add pears. Toss gently until pears are coated with lime juice. Add sugar and ginger. Stir well until combined. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
In small stainless steel pan, combine peel and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and boil, stirring frequently, until peel is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes. Drain liquid into pear mixture; set peel aside.
Bring pear mixture to a full roaring boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Boil hard, continuously stirring (unless you want to risk scorching like me!) for 15 minutes. Add peel and boil until mixture reaches a gel stage, about 5 minutes.
Ladle hot marmalade into hot jars, leaving 1/4" head space. Wipe rim. Place lids and bands on jars. Process for 10 minutes in a hot water bath canner. Wait 5 minutes then remove jars to cool.

I can't wait to try this on a piece of toast. Another thought- a cute label attached to one of these jars would make a great gift to ring in the fall season!

6 comments:

Kim said...

Sounds great! Pears are getting close up here, but not quite...I'm saving this recipe until then!

Leslie said...

this looks heavenly...i can only imagine how good it tastes. what is it best on?

Anonymous said...

Wow...I don't know if I'd like that or not...but it looks amazing! =)

Christa said...

Yummo! I have 2 bushels of pears coming this Friday through our coop. I think I will give this a try since I'll have pears coming out of my ears. Thank you so much for the recipe and instructions.

Morgan said...

That's a great recipe! Our pear tree is fickle - one year so many to can we don't know what to do, this year the squirrels ate every single last darn pear by about July 1st. Stinkers. So, next year, fingers crossed, I'll be making this!

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

I'm always impressed at all the things you make and can yourself at home. You are one talented lady :) :) what a fun gift idea :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails