Thursday, November 18, 2010

weird sounds coming from the kitchen

While it's fermenting in a sealed jar, sauerkraut can make all kinds of noises. Just today while I was cleaning the kitchen I thought, "What in the world is that noise?" Then I remembered the kraut on the counter. Those high pitched sounds of the air escaping as it bubbles from between the little cracks of the lid- they may be strange but they are the sounds of cabbage being transformed into a food that it full of vitamin C and beneficial bacteria!

I realized too that I completely left sauerkraut off of my dinner plans on MPM! It's something we enjoy every night- how could I have forgotten? I shared my quick way of making kraut here if you're interested.

8 comments:

Leslie said...

this is the only food that my husband will not touch with a ten foot pole....anything else he will gladly eat. yet the guy eats kimchi, i don't get it....

Unknown said...

As soon as I popped over here the first words that came to mind was sauerkraut! I haven't made any yet but it's on my list to do so.

Yep, 1.50 a gallon. And we have been paying that for almost 30 years. That's one item that hasn't sky rocketed in price for us.

Mountain Home Quilts said...

O.k. Tricia, I'm just jealous now. ;)

Beautifully Veiled said...

Move over Kombucha!!! Here comes the Sauerkraut!!! My husband LOVES the stuff, and I just haven't gotten around to doing it!! You've inspired me!!!!
Blessings,
Linda

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

I'm glad that you are enjoying the process of making sauerkraut :) :) I tried it once while I lived in Germany. It's not my preference...but at fairs...that's one of the things you 'll see...sauerkraut with these really thick, stubby pasta noodles called "Schoepfnudeln"...I think that's what they were called..:) :) Have a lovely weekend. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Anne-Marie said...

I've never made it before! I love a good sauerkraut too. I really need to learn how to make it. But, to the other commenter Linda, Kombucha is definitely here to stay. I love that stuff!

Anonymous said...

Yummy! I've never had anything but from a can at the store, but I bet that's awesome...and at that rate, I haven't had any in years! =(

Mountain Home Quilts said...

The great thing about homemade kraut is that there is no vinegar and it's not pasteurized so all the goodness is left in!

Related Posts with Thumbnails