Friday, March 15, 2013

A quilt with a confession

I have a confession to make. I have now been quilting for 14 years and I just finished my first quilt with applique on it. I've never appliqued anything, seriously. It was always just a little too intimidating for me. And now that I've done it, it still is.
 
I tried needle turn applique on this quilt and I wasn't overly happy with the results. I now believe that needle turn applique is something that you practice over and over again before you're actually good at it. If you're a newbie to applique like I am, these videos helped me out tremendously. I couldn't have done it with out Jenny and Jan's help!
 
"On the Pantry Shelves" - 2013
 
 
I have another applique project on my project shelf where I'm going to try machine applique to see if I can tackle that with better results.
 
This quilt top will be shipping off to my friend Christa- all the way over in Tennessee- so that she can work her magic on it. Christa is an exceptional quilter and I know that she'll do a wonderful job here.
 
When it's back and I've bound it, I'll share the final masterpiece!

4 comments:

Morgan said...

I love it! My first applique project was some crazy complicated flower basket block at the age of 15. The ignorance of what I was getting into is the only thing that got me through it!

barbara woods said...

beautiful quilt. i have never done that either , just raw edge and i am not good at that

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

I love the red gingham on the fruit jars!

KaHolly said...

I have a confession to make. I've been quilting for over 30 years, and I STILL can't needle-turn applique. I can do simple shapes, I've got the stitching part down, but I get hung up on the prep work. This quilt is great. Good job 'sticking to it' and finishing, even though you were not comfortable with the technique.

Related Posts with Thumbnails