Friday, July 6, 2012

Indian Tacos and Fry Bread

Before I moved to this part of the country state (really, it does feel like a different country, California is HUGE) I had never heard of Indian Tacos....or doughboys (which are essentially the same, in my opinion, except tossed with cinnamon and sugar.) Actually, I'm not sure that anyone else has ever heard of these. Unless you live in Del Norte County. If you have, please let me know. I'd like to think that we are somewhat normal up here!
Anyway, getting back to my post..........
This fry bread is a wonderful and yummy, non-healthy alternative to tortillas. I know, I know. Usually I am all about eating what IS healthy and fighting all that junk food off with a stick but once in a while a girl has to cave. Like when it comes to doughnuts. Mmmmmmm, doughnuts.
I'm getting off track here again............
So, fry bread. It's easy, it's yummy and it requires very few ingredients. The thing is, some of the recipes you'll find on the internet don't mention the secret step in getting your fry bread to turn out wonderful. Actually, they guard against it. Kneading. Want good fry bread? You're going to have to knead the dough and then let it rest for a bit. Trust me. I've tried it the other way and nothing good came of it.




Here's my recipe:
2 c flour
1 Tb baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 c milk
Oil for frying (I like to use sunflower oil)

Mix dry ingredients, then add milk. Turn dough onto floured surface and knead for apx. 5 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes before pulling apart into 5 pieces. Roll or squish, with your hands, dough into a round, thin, flat shape and fry in hot oil.

Now, you can use this as a taco base and add things like refried beans, ground beef, iceberg lettuce, chopped tomatoes, cilantro, olives, sour cream, shredded cheese - whatever you like on your taco- to the top and use a fork and knife to eat it.
Or, you can toss the just fried bread with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar for a dessert.
Either way, they are yummy!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

We make this bread often. Only it doesn't look nearly as nice as yours does. Next time we'll try your tips.

Unknown said...

Oh yes I forgot to say also that we normally have it for breakfast with butter/honey. My sister makes it and dips in their soups. It's such a versatile bread I think.

Bonnie K said...

Growing up on an Indian reservation Indian Tacos was the norm. We of course had the cheaper version. Powdered milk and water. It is great when you are feeding a crowd. I am amazed at how many people haven heard of them.

Holly said...

Yum! Here in the south anything fried is a winner! I know it's not the healthiest but I think we make up for it by not eating a lot of over processed foods. At least that's what we tell ourselves anyhow ;)

Abbi said...

These are common and much enjoyed here in Northern MN. We are near several Indian reservations and I do think they became popular through the people there. There is often a booth selling these and crafts fairs and the county fair. We like to make them at home too. Often we like to eat the fried bread with just honey on it as well.

Related Posts with Thumbnails